Saturday, March 18, 2017

MY SIMPLE RECIPE FOR BEE-FREE "HONEY"

Best Blog Tips


This will be a short little post.  I have posted this recipe on Facebook a couple of times, but never here on my blog.  I thought it was about time to post it here. (UPDATED June 24, 2019)

As a vegan, I just didn't eat honey for a long, long time.  It's not that I crave it, but every so often there's some recipe that just needs it, or it sounds comfy to stir some into tea with lemon when you have a cold.  So one day, I experimented with various syrups and combinations, and this one was our favorite.

NOTE: I used to use brown rice syrup and agave nectar, but I have since found out that brown rice syrup has a high glycemic load, so maple syrup is an improvement.


Printable Recipe


BRYANNA'S SIMPLE HOMEMADE BEE-FREE "HONEY"
Makes 1/2 cup—multiply as needed

Closest I’ve come to the real thing.
Check out the photo below for the brands I used and the color of agave syrup I used. You can use your favorite brands, but I think the more caramel-colored agave syrup is best in this recipe.


1/4 cup amber maple syrup (the real thing!)
1/4 cup agave nectar
1/4 tsp. lemon juice

Hint: Very lightly oil the inside of your measuring cup and the syrups will more easily pour out.


Mix the ingredients together well and store in a covered jar in the refrigerator.

It firms up a bit after a few hours of chilling.

PS: One could infuse this mixture with lavender or whatever flavor of honey you liked "back in the day".




                           



Enjoy!




1 comment:

lis0r said...

To my taste buds, dandelion flower syrup tastes pretty much the same as honey. I'm guessing it's because bees visit a lot of dandelions :) It's fairly easy to make if you can get some clean flowers and some friends to help with pull the green bits off.